Monday, August 1, 2011

Better World Books August Book Drive Day 1

"I no longer believe I can save people. I've tried, and I've failed, and while I'm sure that there are people out in the world with that particular gift, I'm not one of them. I make too much of a mess of things. But books, on the other hand: I do still believe that books can save you." Rebecca Makkai  (The Borrower)

If there were a more perfect book to start off my August book drive where I will be donating every book I read to Better World Books, I can't think of it. Not only does this book show the importance reading plays in a child's life and the escape into another world that books can offer, it shows the desire book lovers have to share that pleasure with others.

Lucy Hull is a children's librarian who finds herself being more and more drawn to a young library patron, Ian Drake. First as a mere advisor on what to read, then as a supplier of "objectionable" books his mother has banned from his reading list (everything from Roald Dahl to Harry Potter). Finally, she finds herself in the role of cohort/kidnapper when Ian decides to run away from his parents, who seem more intent on limiting their child's exposure to books and curing his possible homosexuality than in their son's happiness and well-being . The book details their travels, the people who help them and hinder them along the way and Lucy's own struggle with what the right thing to do is when you feel that returning a child to their home may do more harm than good.

Although the book does cover a lot of heavy topics, such as parents feeling that "deprogramming" their gay child is helpful, it also provides a lot of comic relief such as the quirky characters and literary tidbits that make it impossible to put down and reminds us all of the difference books can make in a life.

Kudos to Rebecca Makkai for writing a book that I not only want to read over and over again, but that I can not wait to share with everyone I know. I am happy to make it the first book in my August book drive which will be donated to Better World Books and help promote literacy programs.

If you haven't yet read this book, do so immediately. Purchase it from Better World Books
  ( www.betterworldbooks.com ) and when your done reading it, donate it back to them. Get more out of your books by promoting literacy with each purchase and donation.

No comments:

Post a Comment