Thursday, August 11, 2011

Better World Books August Book Drive Day 11

For some reason I am a huge fan of the culinary cozy mysteries. You know the ones that take place in a bakery,  coffeehouse or restaurant and usually include some recipes in the back for you to try out on your own. I am not the only one who is confused by this. Anyone who knows that the espresso machine is the only appliance in my kitchen getting a daily workout is equally perplexed.

Having said that, I was fortunate enough to come across a new series of this type which made me downright giddy with anticipation.  Jacklyn Brady's A Sheetcake Named Desire is the first book in the A Piece of Cake Mystery series and has a playful title (which I am also a sucker for).

Rita Lucero has decided to track down her estranged husband and make him finally sign the divorce papers he has been ignoring. She arrives at Zydeco Cakes, Philippe's new bakery in New Orleans, to try and get some closure but quickly discovers that instead of a divorcee, she is now a widow.  And as if her showing up  right before her soon-to-be ex is stabbed to death wasn't suspicious enough, she has now inherited part ownership of the cake shop, making her a prime suspect to many. Her mother-in-law has complete trust in her though, insisting Rita stay on at least for a while and help her figure out who has been sabotaging the shop and who killed her son. She needs to get the shop out of financial trouble and the killer behind bars before he or she can strike again.

I loved the setting (New Orleans), the characters (Miss. Frankie and Dog Leg were my favorites) and the plot twists that kept me hanging on every word. The only downside is that I will have to wait until February 2012 when the next in the series (Cake on a Hot Tin Roof) is released to see what happens next. In the meantime, I may just surprise everyone and make Aunt Yolanda's Chocolate-Banana Coffee Cake. If it's anywhere near as good as the story, it's sure to be a hit!

Don't forget to check out http://www.betterworldbooks.com/ for this title. Remember that each purchase and donation to Better World Books helps fund libraries and literacy programs.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for the review! I'm so glad you liked it. I'm working on book #3 even as we speak :)

    ReplyDelete