Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Better World Books August Book Drive Day 2

 Today's choice was 2030 by Albert Brooks, a story of America in the year 2030 where the life expectancy is growing as is the deficit.

You would think that a cure for cancer would be a good thing. That is until you consider all the baby boomers who are refusing to roll over and die and leaving the younger generations to foot the bill. As more and more miracle drugs hit the shelves, the life expectancy continues to grow, as does the resentment of those younger generations towards the "olds".

Add to that an earthquake which destroys Los Angeles, leaving a government that is teetering on bankruptcy to try and find a way to rebuild it. The president must find a way to heal a major city leveled by a natural disaster and bring together a divided nation that is crippled by a deficit.

I was not sure I was going to enjoy this book when I read the blurb, but Hubby highly recommended it and I am glad that he did. I was hooked from the first chapter right up to the ending. Albert Brooks writing was a pleasure to read, reminding me of a cross between Carl Hiaassen and Dave Barry.

I give it 5 out of 5 stars and am happy to be donating it, along with all the other books I read this month, to Better World Books. If you are interested in reading this book, please head over to  http://www.betterworldbooks.com/ and order it from them. When you are done reading it, please consider donating it back to them. Each purchase and donation helps fund literacy programs.

No comments:

Post a Comment