Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Better World Books August Book Drive Day 31 The end of the drive.

For my last book of my Better World Books August book drive, I chose Finger Lickin' Dead by Riley Adams.
It is the second in her Memphis BBQ mystery series, which is centered around Aunt Pat's Restaurant on Beale Street in Memphis and the quirky, lovable characters that congregate there.

Evelyn is back with an ex-husband which delights none of her friends. It's obvious to them that he uses her for her money and is a cheater as well. When it comes out that her boyfriend is also the troublemaking food critic who uses the pen name Eppie Currian, that's just another nail in his coffin as far as they are concerned. He has damaged businesses including Aunt Pat's with his poison pen , enraging owners, chefs and patrons. Add those disgruntled people to the jilted lovers and blackmail victims and it's easy to see why he ends up murdered. Now the hard part will be figuring out whodunit.

Lulu and the gang are so lovable that, even as a vegetarian, I find myself wanting to become a regular at Aunt Pat's. This book will leave you with a yearning for Pecan pie and the desire to tour Graceland with the Graces. There's an awesome recipe for the pie in the back of the book, but the tour is up to you. If you love cozy mysteries with a restaurant setting or miss the Southern Sisters Mystery series as much as I do, this is a must read. Grab your copy at http://www.betterworldbooks.com/ and your purchase will also help fund literacy programs and put a book in the hand of someone in need.

As I stated, this is the last day of my August book drive. It all started in July when I decided to read as many books as I could in a month, blog about them and then donate them all to Better World Books. The total was 30 books read, but with the wonderful support of my friends (especially my book club and on-line buddies) that number is now well over 100. So I'd like to thank my friends for their support, the authors for the hours of enjoyment that they have given me and the wonderful staff of Better World Books. I had actually never met anyone from Better World Books before deciding to do this. I just wanted to draw a little attention to a company whose customer service and dedication to helping others I have always admired. I'm happy to report that they are as awesome as I imagined they would be.

Although it is the end of my book drive, it is not the end of my association with Better World Books. I will continue to donate the books I read to them and encourage everyone else to do the same (look for their bright green donation bins or get a free shipping label from their website). I will also continue to support a company whose customer service is superb and whose dedication to literacy projects is remarkable by making my on-line book purchases through them.



1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for this review! :) So glad you enjoyed Lulu's adventure. I enjoyed writing that book.

    ReplyDelete